New Jersey Affiliate
The AWSCPA NJ Affiliate began in June 2007 with a mission to integrate the values of the national professional society of women CPAs into our New Jersey Affiliate and offer networking opportunities, leadership skills, advice and an opportunity to enhance the ability for women to succeed in their careers. Read on for information about our events, job opportunities, scholarships and newsletters. Our board meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM. You can participate in person or dial into the call. We would love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com for more information.
If you would like to become a member of this dynamic chapter, visit the national website www.awscpa.org for an application!
September 18, 2015
WISS Sunrise CPE with AWSCPA
Wiss and Company
345 Eisenhower Parkway
Livingston, NJ 07039
Scholarships & Charitable Endeavors
The AWSCPA NJ Affiliate is accepting applications for the 2015 Woman of the Year Award.This award recognizes a woman who has demonstrated leadership, integrity, sacrifice and accomplishment in furthering the advancement of women in accounting in New Jersey and exemplifying the highest ideals of the accounting profession.
This award recognizes an individual for outstanding contributions to the accounting profession and their community. Criteria for this award will be professional accomplishments, demonstrated leadership, community service, and contributions, which further the advancement of women in the profession. Such contributions must extend beyond the workplace.
NOMINATIONS ARE DUE ON OR BEFORE May 15, 2015.
Recipients will be honored at the annual dinner on Thursday, June 18, 2015 at La Pastaria in Summit, New Jersey. The honoree will also be featured in the affiliate’s second quarter newsletter with appropriate releases sent. The nominee must be a woman CPA practicing in NJ.
AWSCPA New Jersey Affiliate Scholarships
AWSCPA NJ will award one $2,000 cash and one Wiley CPA Exam Review scholarships to qualified students.
Requirements for all scholarships:
- Must be undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduate (for Wiley Scholarship only)
- Must have a cumulative 3.0 average by application deadline.
- Must be an Accounting Major and plan on pursuing a career as a CPA.
- Must provide a validated full transcript from an accredited college or university.
- Must complete an essay no longer than 1,000 words on topic provided.
- Must be able to attend the annual dinner on June 18, 2015 to accept the award.
- Involvement in school, community, professional and/or charitable organizations is desirable.
- Additional requirement for Wiley CPA Review Course scholarship - must be eligible to take a review course within one year of scholarship awarding.
- Applications and full transcripts should be received NO LATER THAN May 15, 2015.
Recipients will be honored at the annual dinner on Thursday, June 18, 2015 at La Pastaria in Summit, New Jersey.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to Previous Winners
Congratulations to our 2014 Scholarship Recipients! We are excited to announce that Bridget Hartnett, Partner at Sobel & Co, is our 2014 AWSCPA-NJ Affiliate CPA of the Year. We also awarded Kelly Coyne and Aisha Ghani, each, $2,000 in a cash scholarship. Aamir Hasan accepted a scholarship for the Wiley CPA Review Course and Athina Kritharis accepted a scholarship for the Becker CPA Exam Review Course. Congratulations to all our award recipients.
2013 – Olga Druzhubina & Emily Furey received 2013 Becker CPA Exam Review Course Scholarship Awards. Aisha Ghani & Shehan Chandrasekera received 2013 AWSCPA Cash Scholarship Awards
2011 – Elizabeth Regan and Jennifatu H Crowther were the recipients of our Becker CPA Exam Review Course Scholarships. Our Cash Scholarship Recipient was Liang Ren.
2011 – Andreea Danalache was the recipient of our Becker CPA Exam Review Course Scholarship. Our Cash Scholarship Recipients were Renee Reitmeyer and Mariah Shearin.
2010 – Lori Minogue was the recipient of Becker CPA Exam Review Course Scholarship. Our Cash Scholarship Recipients were Laura Zindel and Josephine LoBianco.
Position: Director of Finance
The Center for Contemporary Art
Position: Board Treasurer
The Center for Contemporary Art in Bedminster, NJ, is currently interviewing candidates for the position of Treasurer (and Finance Committee Chair). This is a volunteer position. The ideal candidate is someone who is financially literate and preferably has experience in nonprofit finance, corporate finance or accounting. This is a unique opportunity to become a part of a vibrant community arts organization that has been serving the tri-county area (Somerset/Morris/Hunterdon) for more than 40 years.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing, in coordination with the Executive Director, the creation, presentation and monitoring of the annual budget
- Ensuring that appropriate financial reports are made available to the board on a timely basis
- Presenting financial information to the board and being available for questions
- Monitoring compliance with financial policies and procedures
For more information, or to apply, please contact Mary Lev at email@example.com.
Good Karma Comes Back!
Help us build a greater team! Refer a new hire to Wiss and earn $2,000!
We are currently seeking: a Tax Senior Associate & an Experienced Accounting and Audit Associate
If you know of anyone, please email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We have an office in NYC and offices within the NJ area.
For more information on our Karma program, please refer to www.wiss.com/karma.
Legal and Compliance Associate; The Legal and Compliance Group coordinates and implements a wide range of legal functions and regulatory and compliance initiatives.
The group is responsible for:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating transactional documentation, third party agreements, and intra-group service contracts;
- Investigating and responding to legal process;
- Updating and maintaining compliance policies and procedures;
- Developing, tracking and analyzing regulatory developments;
- Creating compliance communications; and
- Reporting to senior management on legal and compliance matters.
BSNY is hiring within it Legal and Compliance Department. Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in the implementation and administration of the compliance program, including the BSA/AML compliance program, the alphabet regulations and ethical business practices.
- Coordinating and executing the compliance and regulatory initiatives and other special projects, including risk assessments and periodic compliance reporting, and analysis of new regulations, regulatory guidance, and compliance processes.
- Monitoring and researching laws and regulations to determine applicability to the business and implement responsive compliance measures.
- Identifying and measuring the compliance risks associated with products and services offered by the institution and assisting in development of policy, procedures, controls and training to address those risks.
- Monitoring of the compliance procedures for effectiveness, and recommend changes as appropriate (includes executing annual compliance testing and analysis of key risk indicators).
- Drafting and updating policies and standard operating procedures related to the compliance program (i.e. Regulatory Compliance Manual, Code of Conduct, Electronic Communications Manual, AML manuals, Record Retention Manual).
- Developing, maintaining and delivering tailored training modules on compliance and ethics-related topics.
- Preparing reports as necessary to be presented at Legal, Compliance and Management Committees.
- Track and resolve compliance inquiries, concerns and internal investigations.
- Monitor industry developments and maintain knowledge of new and amended laws and regulations
- Participate in industry forums to enhance legal and compliance knowledge.
- Assist the Senior Legal Counsel in general legal and corporate matters.
- Draft and review services agreements and vendor contracts.
- JD and admission and member ship in good standing to the NY State Bar.
- 3+ years financial industry experience within a U.S. regulated financial institution, specific work experience with banking and broker-dealer federal and state regulations.
- Advanced knowledge in risk identification, risk assessment, controls development, training, monitoring and reporting. Has a core grasp of project management and is able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a high pressure environment.
- In-depth knowledge of current financial regulatory requirements, including BSA/AML.
- Experience in negotiating transactional documentation (i.e. for loans, securities underwriting) and third-party vendor agreements (i.e. service agreements, license agreements).
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills, verbal and written communications skills, and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficient with Microsoft products and legal systems (WestLaw).
- Spanish (will be a plus but not required)
Public Policy, Markets and Regulatory Manager The business activities of GBM and the ever increasing amount of new and changing regulation and legislation have reached a point that requires the creation of an entirely new role. Although there is an established Compliance Team, GBM in NY is to appoint a person to be located within the business line who will be the expert on all regulatory and legislative issues that affect GBM in NY. The person will also be GBM’s NY point of contact whenever the Compliance Team has issues or projects requiring the business to be involved or take action.
- Communicate regulatory initiatives and projects to internal stakeholders in the Group.
- Analyze impact of these regulatory initiatives in the business in coordination with multidisciplinary teams (Business areas, Operations, IT, Tax, Legal and Compliance).
- Stay on top of trends, developments and potential updates, modifications, to the current regulatory environment.
- Detect alerts of regulatory initiatives and projects, via a proactive approach
- Attend seminars, conferences and training courses relevant to the assigned responsibilities in order to keep the organization and senior management abreast of new initiatives, market-wide opinions and industry positions that may result in potential changes to regulatory “status quo”.
- Provide topical and “ad-hoc” training to Front office and other areas including identifying content, audiences, and preparation of training material.
- The candidate should proactively identify new changes in the regulatory landscape from different sources; coordinate with Legal/Compliance about how to interpret them and evaluate implications.
- Support implementation efforts with business and support areas.
- BA or BS
- Advanced degree is a plus
- At least 3-5 years at a major financial services firm (a major US Bank - Broker dealer, regulators in areas like Compliance, Legal or Business Development is preferred)
- Experience in project management
- Excellent communication skills
- Business, Operational Risk or Operations experience
- Legal expertise a plus
- Broad banking knowledge including products, risk, compliance, etc. This knowledge should allow the candidate to understand the impact of any new /modification of regulation.
- Leadership to recommend courses of action to align the organization with the changing environment, set up task forces to that end, and ensures Santander readiness to adapt to any new set of rules.
- Spanish is a plus
- Availability to travel occasionally (especially within the US)
Senior Auditor; Banco Santander is looking for an auditor to integrate into its US Internal Audit team, providing an opportunity to grow and become a future leader within the Bank. Positions within Internal Audit are designed to allow individuals to grow professionally and learn about the Bank and financial services industry.
Under the general direction of the Audit Manager, the candidate will be responsible for the timely execution of risk-based internal audits in accordance with the annual audit plan, as well as assisting other audit matters and projects. Candidates should have a comprehensive understanding of the treasury activity, including front-to-back end processes within the Sales and Trading environment (Front, Middle and Back Offices, Market Risk, and Credit Risk). He/She will interact with members of the Compliance and IT audit areas in the integrated review of the units’ operational risks.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for executing internal audits of business units, financial reports, key processes, and significant transactions of the bank to determine adequacy of the control structure, mitigation of risks and effectiveness and efficiency of operating processes. Audit testing coverage includes Treasury and Asset Liability Management risk; exposure around IRRM and FX; audit coverage of Funding and Liquidity Management, Credit risk, Capital Management and Stress Testing
- Assign areas of review to staff auditors and oversee audit staff and work throughout the audits to ensure that work is completed in accordance with Group practice and policies.
- Assists in performance of risk assessment of business operations and processes
- Prepares initial draft of audit report for review and approval by Audit Manager.
- Conducts post-audit follow-up to appraise adequacy of corrective action taken to audit recommendations
- Participates in completing specific audit procedures and/or projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related business fields
- Minimum of 5 years of audit experience in a bank or broker/dealer regulated environment.
- CIA certification is a plus
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment
- Good technology/computer skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledgeable of Capital Markets activity, including derivatives instruments and risk management function
- Knowledgeable of the laws applicable to the Federal Reserve Bank, Office of Comptroller Currency, Securities Exchange Commission and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- Good understanding of internal audit processes, including identifying and evaluating key risks; developing and conducting audit testing; documenting work performed; and presenting findings identified
Junior Accounting Analyst- New Jersey Turnpike; Multiple Locations: The analyst position will assists the management team of the Finance department in the preparation of financial reports and analysis of financial matters. The analyst will establish and maintain harmonious relationships while providing assistance to other departments, outside organizations, agencies and consultants to further the objectives of the Authority. Some qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Accounting and eligible to take a CPA exam in the State of NJ; demonstrate expertise in Excel; and demonstrate the ability to utilize Financial Software efficiently. If interested, contact Pam Varga at email@example.com